Welcome to my third Friday Nope!
Why a Friday Nope ? I decided to create this new weekly meme because even though I have neither the strength nor the time to write a full review for every book I hate, I‘d hate to see people hurt by books I could have warned them against. As explained in my first post, Friday Nope will give me the opportunity to introduce one or two books I didn’t like at all, and briefly explain why.
If you would like to join me in this meme, feel free to do so! Just link back to this post, so I can easily see it and share it here!
But without waiting more, here’s my book for today! Exceptionally today I’m going to talk about a book that I most definitely WILL review in the future, but I just don’t have the spoons for now and I still wanted to warn readers because WHAT THE HELL, REALLY? I know it’s a series very well-loved by many of my friends, and first : yes, it’s okay to have problematic faves. Everyone has those. HOWEVER, I wish people would have warned me about the specifics, so. Here I go.
What is it ? The Foxhole Court is the first novel of a series written by Nora Sakavic, and I don’t even know what genre it is. Look, it’s supposed to be contemporary, yet it deals with an imaginary sport (exy) AND imaginary drugs. There’s no romance in this first book, but friends told me that there would be a m/m romance between the main character and one of his teammates later on.
Why did I hate ? Oh, HELL. I don’t even know where to start. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.
TW – drug use, ableism E V E R Y W H E R E, abuse, suicide jokes, rape jokes, gay slur, ableist slurs, suicide of a MC, intense bullying (and I’m probably forgetting some – I’ll look through my notes ASAP). There are two quotes at the bottom of the post – be warned that they contain ableist and gay slurs.
Alright – I’ve seen the major complains about this book, and they’re usually about the astounding amount of suspension of disbelief we need to get through it. And yes. I agree. This novel does not make sense. Exy, the sport the author made up from scratch, does not make sense. Nothing makes sense. YET. I thought, oh, fuck it, I’ll tell myself it’s fantasy and go with it. I should have been okay then, right? WRONG.
I am sorry but I honestly cannot believe that so few reviews warned about the tremendous amount of ABLEISM The Foxhole Court deploys. We get pages and pages of ableist slurs, rape jokes, suicide jokes, gay slur, horrible rep about medication (what the hell is that???) and I would never recommend it to anyone because of it.
- Neil is bullied by every one of his teammates : they go through his things, beat him, drug him without his consent, and so on.
- Andrew must take a medication to be allowed to play (let’s forget how unbelievable THAT is), and is continually referred as a ps*cho, cr*zy, fre*k, etc, through the whole book. Don’t even get me started on the effects of said medication – NO. That does not work like that. NO. Of course his teammates are okay with him taking alcohol with his medication and fainting all the damn time, including his coach, because of course that’s how people react, of course!
- There are several suicide jokes, at list one rape joke, and icing on the cake, one of the characters dies from suicide at the end of the novel (we’re not sure if it’s really a suicide – but the others think it is anyway) and the main characters just do not care. At all.
- One of the character is disabled, and the MC referred to him as “cr*ppled*
- There’s a quote so fucking offensive that I had to write it here, and that alone should show how fucking bad this book is :
TW for ableist slur & gay slur
“Fuck you, faggot,” Seth said.
“I don’t like that word,” Andrew said. “Don’t use it.”
“I would say ‘fuck you, freak,’ but then you wouldn’t know which one of you I was talking to.”
- Finally, another quote from THE COACH, the RESPONSABLE ADULT that made me want to THROW UP.
TW for ableist slurs
“You have five seconds to get your retarded psycho ass to my apartment! You even think about telling me no and I swear to god I’ll throw Kevin’s contract down a garbage disposal.”
I DON’T EVEN HAVE WORDS ANYMORE. I DO NOT.
I don’t even need to point to the general nonsense and the straight on ABUSE Neil, the MC, gets through from his teammates (it’s horrible. okay?) – the ableism should speak for itself. Just, no. Love your favorites, I will NEVER judge you for it, but please, warn readers. The Foxhole Court is such a trashfire.
Rating ? 1 star, do not recommend.